Loving others is not always an easy thing to think about because when people try our patience, the last thing we want to do is to love them. I want to take a moment and share with you some thoughts from a group of children about how they show the love of God's to others.
How do we love like God calls us to love? I believe there is a reason that the 10 Commandments and Jesus' words start with our love of God. We cannot love others if we haven't sorted how we love God. I encourage you to take some time and do some self-analysis in your life. Do you allow God to be first in everything? Do you give him all of your time, all of your mind, all of your heart, all of your money, all of your focus, all of your attention, all of your strength?
If we don't love God properly, then we will never be able to love others properly. Our love for God is what helps us love others more. I find in my life; when my priorities in my time start to shift just a bit, I start to have my patience shift. I have things about myself that are warning signs that I need to spend more time with God. Do you have things like that for you?
One of those warning signs for me is when I start to get more frustrated with things or with people. Usually, it's not about the situation or the person. It's really about God and me.
We, as a church, would be unstoppable if we could love God 100% and as a result love others 100%. A bonus too is that we would be happier people because God fills us with a joy that isn't affected by bad things at work happening or tourist traffic.
Jesus said we could sum up everything we do on earth with Love. Let's look into that deeper this week.
Read Mark 12:28-31.
- What does it mean for you to Love the Lord with all your heart? Your soul? Your mind? Your strength?
- How do we love our neighbors?
- Which of these two do you think you are doing more efficiently?
- How can you improve the one you are weaker at?
Read Deuteronomy 6:4-5 and Leviticus 19:18.
- Do these verses help you gain any insights into what Christ was saying?
- What did Christ gain by quoting the Old Testament Law?
Read Luke 10:25-28.
- How is Luke's account of this story different?
- Could the man in the story love purely without Christ?
Read Luke 10:29-37.
- How does Luke's telling of the Good Samaritan help us better understand who our neighbor is?
- What ways has your understanding of love deepened?
Prayer for the Week:
Lord, help me to love others in a new way this week through my love for you. Show me places that I can increase my love and people whom I can draw closer to. Father, help me find areas in my life where I do not love you fully either. Amen.